Sunday, November 9, 2008

Gay Straight Black White, Marriage Is A Civil Right!

I was one of the 15,000 + protesters at Sunset Junction in Silverlake on Saturday 11/8 to protest the passing of prop h8. I will attend every protest that I am capable of attending until prop h8 is overturned and EVERYONE has the right to marry.



I arrived by bus at 8pm and was disgusted by the statement of my African American bus driver when we arrived on the scene. "They're still protesting. As if that's going to change anything." Listen, lady! If protest didn't change anything you wouldn't be driving the bus, you'd be sitting in the back! Rosa Parks is turning over in her grave because of your ignorance. If this was 1948 and the man you loved was white, you would not have the right to marry him. So what would you be doing then? You would be fighting for your right to marry the person you love which is exactly what is going on today.



The protest was set to end at 9:00 pm but we still marched on. We sat in the middle of the street and yelled "NO MORE HATE". We marched down block after block and stood screaming and waving signs to honking cars.



I ended up waiting two hours for a bus home since the buses were held up by the protest and I arrived home at about 2:00 am. Tired, cold, and voiceless, I knew it was worth it to be a part of the historical crowd in Silverlake. I am not only protesting for my generation. When I have children I want them to be able to marry the person they love and not be treated as a second class citizen. I want the same for my grandchildren and great grandchildren and so forth. Yes we can erase the hate and discrimination that is currently corrupting our constitution. Yes we can make this a better world for our children and give them the morals and values to do the same for their children. Yes we can love and respect one another as human beings and embrace our differences which make this world of ours so wonderful and interesting.

No comments: