Friday, November 14, 2008

WeHo Prop 8 Protest 11/12/08

I got to the rally a little early this time. Crowds started forming at the corners of Santa Monica/San Vicente. I chatted with a nice couple and we waved peace signs at honking cars. As more and more people arrived we started chanting, trying to sync ourselves up with the street corner diagonal to us but we couldn't hear each other so one of the guys leading the chant started doing sign language. You're awesome, sign language guy!



Then we noticed one car with a mother and two little boys that kept circling the block over and over honking and cheering for us. I wanted so badly to give her gas money but I didn't have any cash. During the march, they kept showing up on the sidewalk cheering us on and we would give them high fives and cheer back at them. I am in awe of this wonderful family. While so many parents are teaching hate to their kids, here is a woman who is teaching her boys to love and support their fellow man in times of injustice and hardship. Whoever you are, Ma'am I applaud you. You are wonderful and made of epic awesome which is the highest compliment you can receive from a Nerdfighter <3.


My signs started bending and got a bit tattered and ripped so I had to do some duct tape damage repair. I need to find some better support for them for Saturday's rally. For those who don't know, there will be a nationwide protest rally at L.A City Hall (200 N. Spring St.) from 10:30am to 2:30pm. If you don't live in Los Angeles, go HERE to find the location for your city!



Highlights of the march itself:
- People cheering us on from sidewalks, balconies, windows, cafes, restaurants and cars.
- A Chinese restaurant employee running into the crowd with a huge pot of fortune cookies for us!
- The "epic family of awesome" as I have now dubbed them.
- The awesome protesters surrounding me.
- This sign that said "I pity tha fool! Who voted yes on 8!"


- Standing outside of El Coyote Mexican restaurant (the owner/manager's daughter donated $100 to the "yes on prop 8" campaign) and chanting "shame on you!"




I was up in front when the march started and somehow ended up in the very back. After the march, I headed to a cafe for a nice chicken cesar salad and a Mr. Pibb. A night well spent.

No comments: